Skip to main content



General Information

There are three categories of claims (excluding medical malpractice) that must be reported to Risk Management.  These include automobile, liability, and property loss claims.  All claims should be reported to Risk Management as soon as possible after the incident occurs.

Claim Form – Insurance Loss Notice         

There is a one-page form, called the Insurance Loss Notice, which should be used to report all claims to Risk Management.  This form can be accessed by clicking on this link:  Insurance Loss Notice   Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to access this form.  The completed Insurance Loss Notice should be forwarded to Risk Management, preferably by email or fax to speed processing.  You may also choose to call Risk Management and the Insurance Loss Notice will be completed over the telephone.

To Submit a Claim

A. Auto Claims

Complete all sections of the Insurance Loss Notice to the extent possible.  If the accident was investigated by a police department, and you have a copy of the police report, please submit the report with the Insurance Loss Notice.  It is important to report the claim to Risk Management as soon as possible after the accident occurs.  Motor vehicle accidents involving WVU vehicles and vehicles from a commercial vehicle rental agency should both be reported.  If the accident occurs while you are out of town, and your trip will continue for some time, please call Risk Management to report the claim from the location of the accident.  Do not wait until your return to Morgantown to report the claim, particularly if there are injuries, or if there is damage to another’s vehicle or property.

If at all possible, when involved in an accident with other individuals, try to obtain the name and phone number of all parties involved, and their insurance agent, insurance company, and insurance policy number.  (Forms: What to do if You Have an Auto Accident – Appendix 1)

Risk Management will submit your claim to the WV Board of Risk and Insurance Management (BRIM) via an on-line claim reporting program, as soon as it is received.  Within a few days, the contact person identified for your department will be contacted by an adjuster with AIG Insurance, the auto claims adjuster for BRIM.  The adjuster will conduct a telephone interview with the WVU driver and any other driver(s) involved, including any witnesses identified, to make a determination of liability for the accident.  AIG will handle all communication with any third party who experienced bodily injury or property damage as a result of the accident.

Employees injured in an automobile accident while on the job must file a workers compensation claim with the WVU Department of Human Resources, Medical Management Office.  Workers compensation is intended to address the medical expenses and possible lost wages that result from an on-the-job injury.

If the cost to repair a WVU vehicle damaged through the fault of the WVU driver is less than the $1,000 deductible, the repair cost must be absorbed by the department.  If the cost to repair the vehicle exceeds the deductible, AIG will pay WVU the amount in excess of $1,000.

B. Liability Claims

Complete sections 1, 2, 3 & 5 of the Insurance Loss Notice, and forward it to Risk Management.  A liability claim occurs when a third party contacts you to report an incident in which they have experienced bodily injury or property damage which they believe to be the fault of WVU.  They do so with the expectation WVU will pay them for the expenses they incurred as a result of the incident.  When this happens, an Insurance Loss Notice should be completed.  If you prefer, the third party can be referred directly to Risk Management.

In all situations where an incident has occurred (on WVU property) that might generate a liability claim, WVU DPS should be called to complete a report.  Risk Management will submit the claim to BRIM as soon as it is received.  Liability claims submitted to BRIM are adjusted by AIG.

C. Property Loss Claims

A property loss occurs when WVU owned property is damaged by a covered peril.  Examples include fire, wind, and lightning, but there are many covered perils.  Crime coverage is also included under the property insurance policy to protect against losses such a theft of property, theft of money, and employee dishonesty.  Property loss claims are subject to a $2,500 deductible per occurrence.  Property losses that do not exceed $2,500 must be absorbed by the department.  Covered losses that exceed $2,500 will be reimbursed for the amount in excess of $2,500.  In situations where the amount of loss cannot be easily determined, an Insurance Loss Notice should be submitted to Risk Management.  Risk Management will submit a claim to BRIM so they can investigate to determine the actual amount of the loss.

Sections 1, 2, 3, and 5 of the Insurance Loss Notice should be completed and the Loss Notice should be forwarded to Risk Management.  If a property loss occurs to WVU property, DPS should be called as soon as possible to complete an incident report.  In cases where the property loss is significant, Risk Management should be called as soon as possible.  Risk Management will notify BRIM, so that an insurance adjuster can be immediately assigned to the claim.  Whenever possible, it is a good idea to take digital photos of the damage, particularly if emergency repairs must be made before an adjuster can visit the site.

If a hazard exists after a loss occurs that might cause additional damage, the department is expected to take steps to eliminate the hazard whenever possible in order to minimize the extent of the damage.  Examples might include temporary covering of a hole in a roof to prevent additional weather damage, or removal of undamaged contents to an off-site location for temporary safe keeping.  The additional cost for these measures will be included in the adjustment of the claim.