- Are non-employees insured if they drive a state vehicle?
- Yes, if they are driving with the permission of the “insured”. Permission for
a non-employee to drive must be obtained (preferably in writing) from
the Dean or Director responsible for the state vehicle.
- If I am using my personal vehicle on University business, and I am involved in a motor vehicle accident, does the University auto insurance coverage pay for the claim?
- No, it does not. The claim must be submitted to the employee’s personal auto insurance company. BRIM commercial auto liability insurance provides excess coverage should a serious accident exhaust the liability limits of the employee’s insurance policy. If an employee does not want to run the risk of a business use of their vehicle impacting their personal auto insurance policy, they should use a WVU-owned department vehicle or a University-contracted Enterprise rental vehicle.
- What is the deductible for auto insurance claims under the WVU auto insurance policy?
- The deductible is $1,000.00 per occurrence.
- How do I know what insurance decisions to make when renting a vehicle from a vehicle rental agency?
- Effective November 1, 2015, the Enterprise rental vehicle rate includes commercial auto liability and physical damage coverage. WVU, WVU Tech Beckley, WVU Potomac State College, and WVU Research Corporation employees are not to purchase any optional insurance coverage from Enterprise as well as their affiliate, National Car Rental. *This only applies to Enterprise and National Car Rental vehicles. For other rental vehicle vendors, please contact Risk Management for guidance.
- Are student organizations (clubs) and student members of these clubs covered under the WVU comprehensive liability insurance policy?
Coverage applicable to student organizations varies based on the student organization classification system. Details can be found at the link below.
Are my personal belongings insured under the WVU property insurance policy while
temporarily kept in a University office or classroom?
- No. It is the employee or student’s responsibility to insure their personal belongings with a personal property insurance policy such as homeowners or renters insurance.
- What is the deductible for property insurance claims under the WVU property insurance policy?
- The deductible is $2,500.00 per occurrence.