Skip to main content
Are non-employees insured if they drive a state vehicle?
- Yes, if they are driving with the permission of the “insured”. Permission for
a non-employee to drive must be obtained (preferably in writing) from
the Dean or Director responsible for the state vehicle.
If I am using my personal vehicle on University business, and I am involved
in a motor vehicle accident, does the University auto insurance coverage pay
for the claim?
- No, it does not. The claim must be submitted to the employee’s personal auto
insurance company. BRIM commercial auto liability insurance provides excess
coverage should a serious accident exhaust the liability limits of the employee’s
insurance policy. If an employee does not want to run the risk of a business
use of their vehicle impacting their personal auto insurance policy, they should
use a WVU department vehicle or Enterprise rental vehicle.
How do I know what insurance decisions to make when renting a vehicle from a
vehicle rental agency?
- Effective November 1, 2015, the Enterprise rental vehicle rate includes commercial
auto liability and physical damage coverage. WVU, WVU Tech Beckley, WVU Potomac State College, and WVU Research Corporation employees are not to purchase
any optional insurance coverage from Enterprise as well as their affiliate,
National Car Rental. *This only applies to Enterprise and National Car Rental
vehicles. For other rental vehicle vendors, please contact Risk Management
Are students insured under the WVU comprehensive general liability insurance
- No, students are not. Student teachers are provided coverage. Students in
health related fields such as medicine, pharmacy, nursing, etc. are provided
medical malpractice coverage. Students in allied healthcare fields such as psychology
and sociology are provided professional liability only.
If a student is injured on WVU property or in connection with a WVU sponsored
activity, are their medical and related expenses automatically paid by WVU?
- The injury related expenses for a student will only be paid by the WVU comprehensive
liability policy if WVU negligence is determined to be responsible for the injury.
Are student organizations (clubs) and student members of these clubs covered
under the WVU comprehensive liability insurance policy?
Are faculty advisors to student organizations covered under the WVU comprehensive
liability insurance policy?
- Yes. Acting as a faculty advisor to a student organization is considered “within
the scope of their duties” for a faculty member. Therefore, they are provided
liability coverage for their role as an advisor.
Are my personal belongings insured under the WVU property insurance policy while
temporarily kept in a University office or classroom?
- No. It is the employee or student’s responsibility to insure their personal belongings
with a personal property insurance policy such as homeowners or renters insurance.
Does the University accept responsibility for damage to or theft of student belongings
in a University dormitory room?
- No. It is the student’s responsibility to insure their belongings with a personal
renters insurance policy. Students who are still dependents of their parents
may have insurance coverage under their parent’s homeowners or renters insurance
What is the deductible for property insurance claims under the WVU property insurance
- The deductible is $2,500.00 per occurrence.
Is WVU business personal property (contents) insured while temporarily off premises
or in a vehicle?
- Yes. WVU owned business personal property is insured while temporarily off premises
for the same amounts as it is insured for when located in the building where
it is permanently kept.The same $2,500.00 per occurrence applies, so care should
be taken to safely secure items at high risk for theft, such as a laptop computer
Rental Vehicle Insurance
When renting a vehicle from Enterprise or National Car Rental, should the collision
damage waiver or automobile liability coverage be purchased.
- No, this coverage is included in the rental rate for the vehicle when the rental
reservation is made using WVU’s booking code, XZ68WVU.
When renting a vehicle from a vehicle rental vendor other than Enterprise or
National, should the collision damage waiver or automobile liability coverage
- It depends on the circumstances and the department’s ability to absorb a $1,000
Please contact Risk Management at 304.293.8441 for further assistance.