Automobile Insurance Coverage
Automobile Insurance Coverage
Automobile liability insurance provides coverage for claims that result from accidents involving vehicles owned by, hired by or borrowed by WVU. These are claims in which the WVU vehicle has caused bodily injury or property damage to a third party. The limit of liability is $1,000,000 combined single limits per occurrence.
Auto medical payments coverage (typically found in commercial auto liability insurance policies) is designed to pay the medical expenses resulting from injuries to passengers of a vehicle, regardless of fault for the injury. This coverage is designed to discourage an injured party from filing a liability claim or lawsuit. BRIM does not provide Medical Payments coverage.
- Employees of WVU - In the event of an employee injury, a workers compensation claim should be filed with Medical Management in the WVU Department of Human Resources. They can be reached at 304-293-5700 x 8.
- Non-WVU employees - Absent negligence on the part of WVU, non-employee passengers in a WVU vehicle are not covered for injuries. These individuals must look to private health insurance to address their medical expenses, or to the workers compensation coverage of their employer, if they are also on the job.
Auto Physical Damage
Coverage for claims such as fire, theft, vandalism, deer collision, etc. is provided for losses that exceed the $1,000 deductible. The first $1,000 of any claim must be paid by the department. Claims that do not exceed the deductible must be paid entirely by the department.
Coverage for claims of damage resulting from collision or upset of the vehicle is provided for losses that exceed $1,000. The first $1,000 of any claim must be paid by the department. Claims that do not exceed the deductible must be paid entirely by the department.
Rental Vehicles (for business travel)
Effective November 1, 2015, commercial auto liability and auto physical damage insurance coverage is included in the rental vehicle rate with Enterprise/National Car Rental (coverage is not included for Alamo rentals). WVU, WVU Tech Beckley, Potomac State College, and WVU Research Corporation employees are not to purchase any optional insurance coverage when renting a vehicle from Enterprise or National Car Rental.
- If a WVU employee is involved in a motor vehicle accident with a rental vehicle or if the rental vehicle is damaged while unattended, they are to follow the guidelines provided in the Risk Management Forms: Appendix 1a What you should do if you have an auto accident – Rental Vehicle. [pdf]
- The method of payment for the rental vehicle is no longer a consideration for Enterprise rental vehicle claims.
- Please note that this only applies to Enterprise and National Car Rental vehicles. If renting from another vendor, please contact Risk Management.
Note: employees who are injured in a motor vehicle accident must notify WVU Human Resources Medical Management within 24 hours and must also complete the accident/injury report form ( Accident/Injury Report Form) and submit it to Medical Management within 24 hours.
Personal Vehicles Used For University Business Travel
The employee’s personal auto liability insurance is primary in the event of a motor vehicle accident which causes bodily injury to a third party, or property damage to a third party’s property. Employees involved in a motor vehicle accident of this type should first contact their personal auto insurance agent to report the accident.
Should an employee have a motor vehicle accident serious enough to exhaust their personal auto liability insurance limits, WVU’s commercial auto insurance policy would respond as excess coverage to the employee’s policy.
B. Auto Physical Damage
Damage to an employee’s personal vehicle while used for University business travel must be submitted to the employee’s personal auto insurance agent or company. At no time does WVU’s commercial auto insurance policy pay for damage to an employee’s vehicle. Employees who wish to avoid this possibility should use a University owned vehicle, or an Enterprise rental vehicle, to meet their travel needs.
Certificate of Auto Liability Insurance
A certificate of automobile liability insurance can be found at the following link: WVU Certificate of Auto Liability Insurance
A copy can also be obtained by contacting Risk Management. A copy of this certificate should be carried in all WVU vehicles and with the employee when driving a rental vehicle.
Commercial Auto Insurance Policy
A copy of the complete auto insurance policy for State agencies can be found at the following website: State Auto Policy [External Link]