Skip to main content

General Liability Insurance Coverage

General Liability Insurance Coverage              

Questions concerning coverage contained in each of these sections should be directed to Risk Management.

Certificate of Liability Insurance

A. One-Page Liability Certificate – Coverage Summary

BRIM issues a Certificate of Liability Insurance for WVU annually for the period July 1 to July 1.  This certificate is a general outline of the coverage provided for WVU by BRIM, and can be obtained by contacting Risk Management, or by visiting the Risk Management web page: WVU Certificate of Liability Insurance

B. Certificate of Liability Insurance – ACORD Form

Various entities will request proof of liability insurance from West Virginia University for a variety of reasons.  Examples include the use of facilities not belonging to WVU; sponsorship of an activity; and the performance of a service.  Requests for a certificate of insurance related to a specific activity or event must be submitted to Risk Management, along with the name and address of the requesting entity.

C. Signing Contracts

WVU departments and personnel are routinely required to enter into contracts with other entities.  Only certain personnel are authorized to sign contracts on behalf of WVU.  Any contract between WVU and another entity should be examined and approved by WVU General Counsel prior to signature by an authorized representative of your department. 

Contact information for WVU General Counsel is as follows:

105 Stewart Hall
PO Box 6204
Morgantown, WV 26506
Phone 304-293-5841

Contracts for the purchase of goods and services should be forwarded to WVU Procurement, Contracting, and Payment Services (PCPS) for approval and execution.
Contact information is as follows:

PO Box 6024
Morgantown, WV 26506-6024

Miscellaneous Liability Topics

A. Student Injuries

Students injured on the WVU campus, or at a WVU off-campus activity (with the exception of intercollegiate athletic events), must turn to personal health insurance coverage to cover their medical expenses.

B. Student Organizations - Clubs

Student Organizations are not covered by the BRIM liability policy.

C. Use of WVU Facilities - Outside Entities including third party camps and sports clinics

Entities granted use of WVU facilities must provide a certificate of liability insurance to document they carry at least $1,000,000 combined single limits of bodily injury and property damage liability insurance coverage.  WVU must be named additional insured on the certificate.  If the entity does not have liability insurance coverage as stated above, and they are unable or unwilling to obtain coverage from an insurance provider of their choosing, they should be directed to the TULIP (Tenant User Liability Insurance Program) to purchase liability insurance coverage for their activity or event.  The TULIP program is described in section 14.0.